St. Nicholas Chapel located inside the Cathedral of St. Peter
1890s Old Engraved Illustration
Image courtesy: Can Stock Photo
St. Nicholas Chapel
Image Courtesy: Welcome to Deutschland
"Niklauskapelle"The original chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas was much smaller. But that all started to change when the Greek Empress Theophania of Constantinople (Byzantine Empire) married Emperor Otto II in 972. She not only brought the fork to Germany, the decadent idea of bathing once a day, luxurious clothing and jewelry but most important of all, relics of St. Nicholas which she donated to this cathedral. The relics are still located in a recess in its eastern wall with a consecration inscription dated 1058. The Cathedral was enlarged and the chapel was rebuilt between 1280 and 1315 in the Gothic style. The chapel is located on the south side and is still used for baptisms.
Cathedral of St. Peter
Image Courtesy: Wikipedia
This beautiful cathedral is one of only three Romanesque cathedrals in Germany. It has been a landmark for the lovely city of Worms for more than 1000 years.
Image courtesy: via
The South Facade
And how it - and the city of Worms - looked in 1838...
Image courtesy: Antique prints
Steel engraving: 1838
Historic and beautiful...and yet another house of worship that honors St. Nicholas (and of course, St. Peter!).